An Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR) is an important instrument used by organizations to certify the performance of new fiber optics links and detect problems with existing fiber links.
Fiber optic OTDR is an optoelectronic OTDR test equipment used to qualify an optical fiber. It injects a series of optical pulses into the fiber under test and extracts, from the same end of the fiber, light that is reflected back from points along the fiber. The reflected light that is gathered back is used to characterize the optical fiber. This is equivalent to the way that an electronic time-domain meter measures reflections caused by changes in the impedance of the cable under test. The strength of the return pulses is measured and integrated as a function of time, and plotted as a function of fiber length.
The reliability and quality of an OTDR is based on its accuracy, measurement range, ability to resolve and measure closely spaced events, measurement speed, and ability to perform satisfactorily under various environmental extremes and after various types of physical abuse. The instrument is also judged on the basis of its cost, features provided, size, weight, and ease of use.
Advantage of Greenlee Fiber OTDR testing Equipment:
- Live fiber testing
- Quickly Measure lengths and defects
- Quickly locates faults
- Probe longer cables and see smaller reflections up to 38dB dynamic range
- Locate faults quickly so that fiber installations can restored with low down time
- Short learning curve allows the technician to be productive quickly
- In built OPM, Laser Source & VFL
- OTDR trace link viewer with automated pass / fail event analysis.